As one of the safest VPN protocols in use at the moment, the OpenVPN platform creates a secure, virtual tunnel between a VPN client and the server. It is used to secure client-server communications, by encrypting and authentication data during transit.
As the OpenVPN platform is open-source, the code is open to continuous inspection and improvement, and is therefore trustworthy.
If you’ve chosen to set up your VPN connection using the OpenVPN platform, below are the steps to follow on your Mac:
- Open the Tunnelblick downloads page via your browser.
- In the downloads tab, click on the latest stable or beta release for your current operating system.
- Click on the version relevant to you, and once the download is complete, find it in the Downloads dialog and double click on it to continue.
- Run the installation by double clicking on the TunnelBlick icon.
- Click on ‘Open’ to run the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, you will be presented with a pop-up, click ‘launch’.
- A welcome pop-up will appear, click ‘I have configuration files’ and then click ‘ok’.
- Log in to your customer zone, click on ‘My services’ and then click on ‘Manage product’.
- Select your desired server locations and download the OpenVPN configuration files. Recommended ports include:
- Open the location where you saved the config.zip file, and unzip it.
- Once all the files have been extracted, select all the files you would like to use and right click on them. Select to open with Tunnelblick.
- Choose the server you want to connect to and click ‘connect’.
- Enter your VPN username and password and click ‘ok’.