As one of the safest VPN protocols in use at the moment, the OpenVPN platform creates a secure, virtual tunnel between a VPN client and the server. It is used to secure client-server communications, by encrypting and authentication data during transit.
As the OpenVPN platform is open-source, the code is open to continuous inspection and improvement, and is therefore trustworthy.
If you’ve chosen to set up your VPN connection using the OpenVPN platform, below are the steps to follow for your Android device:
- Install the OpenVPN Connect app via the Google Play Store – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn&hl=en_ZA&gl=US
- Log in to your customer zone, click on ‘My services’ and then click on ‘Manage product’.
- Select your desired server locations and download the OpenVPN configuration files. Recommended ports include:
- Open the OpenVPN Connect app and tap ‘OpenVPN Profile’.
- Tap on the file you wish to use and and then tap ‘import’ on the top right of the app.
- Once the file has been imported, provide your VPN username, check ‘save password’ and enter your password. Tap ‘ADD’.
- The OVPN Profiles page will appear, and slide the button to connect.
- A popup will appear to confirm the VPN connection. Click ‘Allow’.
- A Select Certificate pop-up will appear, tap ‘continue’.
- You will be connected to your VPN, with your connection status visible under ‘Connection Stats’.