Your business is like your baby and similar to having an actual child, it takes dedication, patience and hard work to grow your company from the ground up. You’ve gotten over the hurdle of starting your business, all you need to do now is to make things official by registering your company with the CIPC (Companies Intellectual Property Commission).
Registering a business in South Africa is essential for small business owners and should be top of your priority list for the following reasons:
Why should I register my business?
- The company receives official CIPC certification
- Gain credibility and trust
- Protect your intellectual property
- Attracts investors
- Become eligible for governmental assistance
How to register a business in South Africa?
There are various ways to register your business in South Africa. You can register your company online with us. You can register directly with CIPC. Alternatively, you can opt to register your business at a bank that offers the service.
What are the steps to register a business with 1-grid?
Start by reserving a name for your business.
It is crucial to choose a unique name that has not yet been registered. Also, consider choosing a business name that has an available domain. The company registration package from 1-grid includes a free .co.za domain registration. A website will give credibility to your business and reserve the space online for when you are ready to launch a website.
You can conduct a WHOIS Search on 1-grid to determine your chosen domain’s availability. Type in your ideal domain name, and press search. We will show you if the domain name is available and if not, we will offer you alternatives.
Have the right documents
You don’t need a lot of documents to register a business. With 1-grid, you need the following:
- Identification document (ID) of the incorporator or the director of the business; and
- A certified copy of the ID.
Company Registration Process at 1-grid:
- Navigate to our company registration page and click ‘Register Now’ and follow the following process:
- Enter your first three options for your company name and then:
- Click ‘Check Names’
- Save and continue
- Log in to the client area
- Enter your physical address
- Enter financial details
- Add director(s)
- Review your application
- Click ‘Continue’
- Pay the invoice
- And we’ll contact you with further details
Once we have this, we will complete the entire registration for you. It’s that simple.
What are the steps to registering your business directly with CIPC?
You’ll need the same documents as listed above to register with CIPC and follow these steps:
- Go to the CIPC website.
- Click on private Company Registrations.
- Click on Customer Login.
- Complete the required fields and login.
- Click on ‘Register A New Company’.
- Enter ID numbers of the director(s) and required field.
- Click ‘Save’.
- On the next screen click ‘Continue’.
- Complete the company’s required fields (financial year-end, email address, physical address, website, postal code and authorised shares).
- The next screen provides options regarding the name reservation, namely:
Apply for a name as part of this process: enter one or up to four names
Use a business name that has already been approved: use a company name that has already been approved
Register a company using an enterprise number like the name: Register using an enterprise number
How do I register my company at a bank?
Financial institutions also offer the service, inquire at your bank regarding the service. The following banks advertise the service:
- FNB Company Registration