Most accounts use IMAP, but a few may use POP. You’ll need a variety of settings before you start to setup your account, including incoming and outgoing mail server names, ports, and SSL settings. For many popular email account types, you can find those settings in our POP and IMAP server name reference. If your email provider isn’t listed there, contact your ISP’s technical support or your email administrator.
Use the Manual setup or additional server types option to set up your account
- On the POP and IMAP Account Settings page, enter the following information:
- Your name and email address
- Account type: This is usually IMAP
- Incoming mail server
- Outgoing mail server
- User Name: This is your full email address
- Choose More Settings > Outgoing Server and check the box for My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- On the Advanced tab, enter the information you received from your email provider or from the POP and IMAP server name reference topic. The most common port and SSL settings are below.
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 465 or 587
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL or TLS
- Choose OK > Next > Finish.