As one of the safest VPN protocols in use at the moment, the OpenVPN platform creates a secure, virtual tunnel between a VPN client and the server. It is used to secure client-server communications, by encrypting and authentication data during transit.
As the OpenVPN platform is open-source, the code is open to continuous inspection and improvement, and is therefore trustworthy.
If you’ve chosen to set up your VPN connection using the OpenVPN platform, below are the steps to follow for WIndows 10:
- Navigate to the OpenVPN website to download and install the software.
- Open the file to install the program. The installation requires Administrative rights to complete installation, enter your administrative credentials if requested to do so.
- A User Account Control popup will appear to confirm the installation, click ‘yes’ to confirm.
- Follow the prompts and click ‘next’ until you are asked to choose install location and click ’install’.
- On the final page of the installment process, untick the checkbox labeled ‘Readme’ if you don’t wish to read all the documentation.
- To complete the installation process click ‘finish’.
- Log in to your customer zone, click on ‘My services’ and then click on ‘Manage product’.
- Select your desired server locations and download the OpenVPN configuration files. Recommended ports include:
- Open the location where you saved the config.zip file, and unzip it.
- Once all the files have been extracted, copy them all to the OpenVPN configuration folder which will be found under the following folders: C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/config/) and confirm the Windows security messages. The OpenVPN can only display 50 servers. Select no more than 50 .ovpn files to copy over.
- Right click on the OpenVPN desktop icon, click on ‘Settings’ and click on the tab ‘Compatibility’. Click ‘Run the program as administrator’.
- Right click on the OpenVPN icon found on the bottom right of your taskbar under ‘hidden icons’.
- Select your desired server location and then click ‘connect’.
- Enter your username and password if required to do so and click ‘ok’.
- A successful connection can be identified by the green OpenVPN icon or by a checkmark next to the connected server.