As one of the safest VPN protocols in use at the moment, the OpenVPN platform creates a secure, virtual tunnel between a VPN client and the server. It is used to secure client-server communications, by encrypting and authentication data during transit.
As the OpenVPN platform is open-source, the code is open to continuous inspection and improvement, and is therefore trustworthy.
If you’ve chosen to set up your VPN connection using the OpenVPN platform, below are the steps to follow for your iPhone or iPad:
- Install the OpenVPN Connect app via the AppStore. https://apps.apple.com/za/app/openvpn-connect/id590379981
- Log in to your customer zone, click on ‘My services’ and then click on ‘Manage product’.
- Select your desired server locations and download the OpenVPN configuration files. Recommended ports include:TCP 80
- Open the location where you saved the config.zip file, and unzip it.
- Once all the files have been extracted, attach the .ovpn files you would like to use to an email message that you can access on your iPhone or iPad.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the email and tap the attachment.
- Tap the share icon found at the top right of your screen, and then tap the more icon indicated by three dots.
- Tap ‘Copy to OpenVPN’ and your chosen .ovpn file will be imported into the OpenVPN Connect App.
- Tap ‘ADD’ to configure your connection.
- Type your username and password into the fields shown if requested, check the ‘save password’ and ‘Connect after import’ boxes and then tap ‘ADD’ at the top right of your screen.
- Tap ‘Allow’ to create your new connection, and then tap ‘Yes’ to connect.
- A successful connection can be identified by the ‘CONNECTED’ sign in the top left of your screen.