Yes. You read right. An entire day… dedicated to cleaning your computer (Inside and Outside). Let’s thank the Institute of Business Technology for starting this – the 1-grid team thanks you.
Still not convinced that you should declutter your desktop today? Here are five health benefits associated of being more organised:
- Increases your energy levels – when you’ve reached a stuck at work, try standing up and clearing the area around you. It should get you back into the flow of things.
- Creates better eating habits – The Bustle highlights that having a tidier desk may reduce your craving for unhealthy food.
- More sleep – your untidy room might be the reason you can’t fall asleep
- Stress-free working environment
- It may save your life, literally.
Let’s get to in to how to clean your computer. Time and Date highlights these key tasks you need to complete to celebrate Clean Your Computer Day:
1.Back-up your computer
2. Delete. Unarchive. Delete.
Delete all the files you don’t need or ‘saved for later’. If you still have files archived from 2008 – it’s time to move it to the trash.
3. Group your folders
Using the alphabet.
In under six minutes.
Watch this video now.
4. Uninstall programs you no longer use
Here are the three steps I took to uninstall programs in Windows 10:
Step 1: Click the start menu.
Step 2: Hover the program you want to remove.
Step 3: Right-click on the progam you want and select ‘Uninstall’.
Now the real graft begins, it’s time to… clean around your computer.
Start by throwing away old-sticky notes and paper.
Look to your colleagues for inspiration on how you can organise your desk. I was drawn to the headphone stand on one of my colleague’s desk – she hangs her car keys on there too.
If you always have Prestik on your desk like me, move it to where it belongs (on the wall).
Any other items that occupy space on your desk, need to be removed.
Detach your monitors from the cables and move it somewhere safe.
Grab a can of Mr Min and cloth and begin to wipe your desk.
Lastly, think of ways you could rearrange the order of items on your desk and slowly start to put it back.