It is estimated that the global pandemic left over 2.2 million South Africans without jobs. An unprecedented number of South African households have been under immense financial strain, and many people had to think and act fast to get additional streams of income. The biggest obstacle that many people face right and will continue to have, seeing the economic impact that COVID-19 has had on the country, is a lack of financial resources to start their businesses.
The internet has made entrepreneurship more accessible to people and if you have dreams of starting your own business and don’t know where to begin, stay tuned. On this week’s podcast, Saskia Schuldig our host with the most is joined by Craig Fester our Digital Marketing Specialist and fellow entrepreneur, to talk about how to start a business with little to no money.
Here’s a summary on how to start your own business:
- Start where you are with what you have: take your existing skillset into account and work from there.
- Get a website: register a domain and get a DIY web builder package to get your business off the ground.
- Leverage your network: use your close friend circle and connections when starting out.
- Only invest what you can afford to lose: a website is the easiest way to start a business without the risk of losing too much money. Start small and don’t invest more than you can afford to lose.
- Be agile and experiment: don’t be afraid to fail, be agile and experiment.
Tips from Craig:
- Create a concise business plan
- Ensure that your website is mobile-friendly and keep it simple
- Understand the user-journey
- Understand your company branding
- Just start!
- Work on your SEO
Listen to the full podcast: