In just a few days, Lezanne uploaded her products, added content and created a well-designed site.
1. Tell us more about your business?
Juicy Clay sells handcrafted polymerclay jewelry. Our jewelry pieces are super lightweight and our clay we use is non toxic and durable.
We also create custom earrings for weddings, birthdays and special occasions.
Our creations are Designed with YOU in mind. One of our main goals was to create pieces women can wear with confidence. You’ll be surprised how much an earing can lift up your mood. Or any statement pieces for that matter.
2. Why/how did the business start?
I lost my job in July 2020 and luckily found a babysitting job just to help with income until I can find secure employment.
Then one night (during September 2020) a friend of mine had a chat with me and said I should start creating clothing again but I should start small. She recommended I start selling accessories. I told her about the Idea I had since lockdown started about making polymerclay jewelry. She loved loved the idea and said well I’m launching my accessories line on my online shop in 2 weeks and requested for samples to be sent. The rest they say is history.
3. What was the biggest challenge you faced when starting your business?
Cash flow, exposure, building trust with potential clients and trying to convince people to buy your product is a skill in itself.
4. What challenges has the business faced as a result of COVID-19 & lockdown in SA?
People are more hesitant around spending money. They are cautious now more than ever as to where they invest their money. However I’ve noticed many people are willing to invest in small businesses. Spending money on small businesses is not just a sale. Dreams and living expenses is part of that sale.
5. What do you think 2021 has in store for your business?
More exposure and more sales.
6. When did you move your business online?
I had my business on Instagram and clients DM’d me and whatsapped me.
However I was contacted by Carl Wastie host of KFM’s Bizboost radio show and I was sponsored a website by 1-grid. Which I’m soooooo excited about. Beautiful secure website. I’m forever grateful.
7. What advice do you have for people who want to start their own business(es)?
Just start. There’s never a right time. You will have all odds against you and not everyone will support your vision. But that is OK!!! Surround yourself with YOUR squad that motivates you. Be prepared for low days where you question whether you did the right thing or not. Yes we all get surrounded by doubt. This is a difficult path.
8. Where did you hear about 1-grid?
Carl Wastie, KFM bizboost.
9. What was your experience with the 1-grid website builder like?
Loved it so much. Super easy and simple. Staff members Saskia and Eldrid was on top of it. Great service.
10. In summary, what is your impression of 1-grid?
They are easy to reach and they want to help small business.
11. Would you recommend 1-grid to your friends and family?
Yes, I definitely will.