Even though we all anticipated a second wave of coronavirus in South Africa, now that it is here, how is it going to affect the job market and potential candidates searching for employment? For some it might be business as usual, because they are still employed and working from home, but for those that are looking for employment and going for interviews while trying to flatten the curve; how can you prepare yourself to ensure that you impress the interview panel during a second wave of COVID-19 infections?
Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize reported in the video above that South Africa has reached a record of 6000 new infections since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, as a result of this second coronavirus wave, the chances of a face to face interview are unlikely and the company will probably request a video interaction instead.
So what can you do to land a job over a video chat?
Here are 6 simple ways to ensure a stress free online interview that will set you up for success:
- It goes without saying that masks are a necessity along with being well groomed and well prepared.
- Go through the overview of the position carefully and make sure you get a good understanding of the role.
- Study your personal profile carefully so that you remember the dates and any other important information about your past work and academic experiences, so that you can answer confidently and give meaningful examples.
- Visit the company website and familiarize yourself with the company details such as its history, brand image, community involvement and anything else that would be relevant to the role you are being interviewed for.
- Test your technology before the online interview to make sure that it is working and ensure that your device is fully charged. Log onto the meeting 5 minutes before the start, so that when the other guests arrive, you are ready and waiting.
- If you are using your cell phone for the interview, you should make sure that it is standing on a solid surface so that the picture remains static and that the interviewers are able to see you clearly.
- Conduct the interview from a space that is quiet and free of any distractions.
Good luck in your preparation and go and be awesome and get that job that you want!