What a time to be alive! Existing in 2020 has been a roller-coaster, with a financial recession that has the economy in shambles and a world health epidemic that has us all talking about social distancing and frantically disinfecting our hands.
Covid-19 has caused mass panic and hysteria in affected countries all over the world. But the more we educate ourselves on what the Coronavirus is and how to prevent the spread of the virus, the better off we’ll be.
Social distancing and self-quarantining have been the buzzwords on social media and official communication about preventing the spread. If you’re wondering what exactly is social distancing is? We have the key points and of course, a list of things to do while you’re socially distancing.
Social distancing means restricting social interactions wherever possible. The virus gets spread from person to person close to one another. And limiting social interactions as well as self-quarantining if you were exposed, will prevent further spread. Everyone should try as much as possible to stay home, which shouldn’t be a problem if you’re already a hermit. But there’s something about not being able to go out whenever you want that might induce anxiety and extreme boredom.
So apart from making choreographed TikTok videos, here are a few other things that you can do while social distancing:
- Binge-watch series on Netflix. We have a list of the top 10 shows to watch on Netflix that should keep you occupied for hours. Also, check out other streaming platforms like Hulu and Showmax.
- Make some wholesome meals while you’re cooped up in the house. See this as an opportunity to try new recipes and have fun in the kitchen. Check out Jamie Oliver’s Youtube channel for some quick meals to make with your loved ones.
- Play board games like 30 Seconds, Chess, Monopoly and card games. This is a great opportunity to bond with those closest to you and rediscover the joys of wholesome fun.
- Catch up on some reading. If you never have the time to read the hordes of books you purchase on. A whim when passing by a bookstore, this is the time to pick one up and start reading.
- Start a new hobby or indulge in an existing one. Make music, paint or immerse yourself into a new topic of study. You’ve got a lot of time to kill and learning something new is a productive way of killing time.
- Lastly, when you feel like you’ve been in the house far too long, take a walk or a run. Walking is allowed as long as you immediately take off your ‘outside’ clothes when stepping back into the house, washing your hands and sanitizing.
In addition to social distancing, these are the other precautions you ought to be taking in the thick of this worldwide health epidemic:
- Avoid contact with other people (social gatherings, crowded spaces, public spaces, etc)
- Cover your mouth with a tissue when you sneeze or cough and throw it away immediately
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Disinfect surfaces and frequently touched objects like your phone
- Stay home when you are sick
- Wash your hands with soap and water often
- Avoid shaking hands with other people
Also, read up on ways to Coronavirus-proof your small business. The Coronavirus will eventually be a norm and less fatal but in the meantime, we should strictly follow the rules in SME’s and our private lives.